Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Ten Films I'm Looking Forward To In 2009

A new year means new movies, and new movies means new reasons for me to be excited! 2009 is hearkening in a year of comebacks, sequels, prequels, remakes, and nerd films. Here's a list of films that I'm personally looking forward to next year.

#10 Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Release Date: TBA
Why I'm Excited: After his untimely death in January, Heath Ledger's was replaced with other brilliant actors such as Johnny Depp, Jude Law, and Colin Farrell. They will play his character, Tony, as this magical traveling theatre leaps through different times and dimensions. I'm looking forward to how inventive director Terry Gilliam pulls off the transition from actor to actor.

#9 The Road
Release Date: TBA
Why I'm Excited: This novel-turned-movie takes place in a post-apocalyptic America that is not unlike an earthly hell. The sky is blacked out with ash and dust, and all animal and plant life is dead. All the while a Man and his Son struggle to survive against the evil that managed to survive the unknown disaster. Ooh, just the synopsis is enough to send shivers down your spine, huh?

#8 Terminator Salvation
Release Date: 5/22
Why I'm Excited: Okay, I'll admit, I'm not that big of a Terminator fan. But, this movie looks amazing. I saw the trailer for it when I went to see The Dark Knight and I was blown away. Plus, it's got a pretty kick-ass cast: Christian Bale, Bryce Dallas Howard, Helena Bohnam-Carter, Common, and newcomer Anton Yelchin. All this combines to make for a pretty exciting-looking movie.

#7 Dragonball
Release Date: 4/8
Why I'm Excited: To be honest, I'm just ready to see how much this movie blows. I've seen the trailers, I've seen the clips, and I've seen the cast-- it looks awesomely cheesetastic. It could quite possibly be 2009's Speed Racer. Sorry to all those Dragonball fans out there, but I think that this one's gonna be a big ol' wad of bad movie-making.

#6 Monsters vs. Aliens
Release Date: 5/27
Why I'm Excited: This looks like another one of those brilliant films that Pixar annually puts out. It's also got some of my favorite actors doing the voices: Seth Rogen, Hugh Laurie, Steven Colbert, and Will Arnett.

#5 The Soloist
Release Date: 4/24
Why I'm Excited: This is one of those films where Jamie Foxx actually looks tolerable. He's playing a mentally-challenged man who's a musical prodigy. I smell an Oscar nom. Just as long as he doesn't go full-retard. And it has Robert Downey Jr. in it. Can't get much better than that.

#4 X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Release Date: 5/1
Why I'm Excited: As a huge comic nerd, I must say that this film looks ten times better than the other films in the franchise. Plus, they're bringing in the biggest and the baddest of the mutants. The casting for these mutants are seemingly flawless: Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, Leiv Schreiber as a young Sabretooth, Taylor Kitsch as Gambit, and the ever-creepy Danny Huston as William Stryker. This seems like a jolt of new energy to a dead series.

#3 Star Trek
Release Date: 5/8
Why I'm Excited: So far, casting looks absolutely brilliant. Zachary Quinto is the perfect Spock, Chris Pine makes for a hot Captain Kirk, Simon Pegg is a brilliant Scotty, Karl Urban is a sleek McCoy, and Zoe Saldana is the beautiful Uhura. But other than y'know, awesome casting, it also has amazing directing. J.J. Abrams, the mind behind Lost, Alias, Fringe, and Cloverfield (although we can forgive him for that one) takes on the helming for this absolutely necessary remake.

#2 Inglourious Basterds
Release Date: TBA
Why I'm Excited: It's Quentin Tarantino. It's. Quentin. Tarantino. That's all that needs to be said. But, I'll say more. This film has an extremely unique plot. It involves a gang of Jewish-American soldiers in WWII who are sent out on a mission to spread fear in the hearts of the Nazis. They call themselves "The Basterds" and what they do is nothing short of brutal. Sounds pretty bad-ass, huh?

#1 Watchmen
Release Date: 3/9
Why I'm Excited: I've been a fan of the Watchmen series since I was sixteen years old. Ever since I first heard about this becoming a film way back in 2007, I've been on pins and needles waiting for it ever since. When the trailer debuted before The Dark Knight, it was nothing short of orgasmic. In that...non-wierd way... Anyway, this film could do for superhero films next year what Iron Man and The Dark Knight did for them this year. Plus, it's directed by the uber-fantastic director Zack Snyder. Yeah, that's the guy that did 300. This man just keeps the awesomeness coming, doesn't he?

2 comments:

Erik said...

The Road, McCarthy's best work. Have you seen The Proposition? The same director is behind this adaptation. There couldn't be a better fit.

And Terminator, well that looks like Mad Max meets Transformers... can't decide on whether that's a good or bad thing.

ladyhornet_05 said...

I have not heard of The Proposition, I must check that out. But as for the whole Mad Max/Transformers thing, since I like both those films I suppose that I'll like this film lol.